Skip to content
Support

Gallery of Great Battles

Accueil Gallery of Great Battles

Of the historical galleries created by Louis-Philippe at Château de Versailles, the Gallery of Great Battles is the largest. It covers practically the entire floor of the Château’s south wing.

Designed and built from 1833, it was solemnly inaugurated on June 10th 1837 to form the highlight of the visit of the museum of French History. The Gallery of Great Battles is also the largest room in the palace (390ft x 42ft) and is dedicated to the illustration of almost fifteen centuries of French military successes, from Clovis to Napoleon.

Since its inauguration, the gallery has remained intact, with all the works commissioned by the Citizen King for its decoration. It remains one of the most impressive testimonies of Louis-Philippe’s project for Versailles and one of the finest examples of large museum construction in the 19th century.

Today, the Royal Serenade and King’s Tour take place in the Gallery of Great Battles.

 

Newsletter

Don't miss any event !

Subscribe Subscribe